Sudden movements and blows to the neck and areas surrounding it can cause whiplashes. Whiplash can cause you severe pain and discomfort if not diagnosed and treated in time. You should be careful about what you know about whiplash to ensure the best chiropractic care and other such treatments for yourself. To help you with this, we have mentioned different causes, symptoms, and treatments of whiplash below.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash is an injury to the neck. It is generally caused by a forceful or rapid movement of the neck or the surrounding area. There can be various causes like road accidents, sports incidents, physical abuse, or other types of traumas. However, there are various types of treatments that one can use. Chiropractic treatment is one of the most ideal treatments for whiplash. Whiplashes are another name for severe sprain or strain to the neck or surrounding area.
What are the Symptoms of Whiplash?
There are various symptoms of whiplash. There can be common symptoms as well as those that may or may not be directly related to it. However, if you are facing serious sprains, before visiting chiropractic care, you should know your symptoms properly. Knowing ones’ symptoms is necessary as it will lead to a proper diagnosis. Some of the many symptoms are mentioned below.
- Pain and stiffness in the neck.
- Neck movement causes more pain in the neck.
- There is a lack of motion range in the neck or area surrounding it.
- Headaches at the base of the skull.
- There is tenderness or pain in the upper back, shoulders, or arms.
- The arm has certain tingles or numbness.
These are those symptoms that are general or common in nature. However, different people have different body types. Thus, there can be some other symptoms also. These symptoms are not that common. However, these symptoms cannot be ignored and one should visit a professional immediately.
- Memory problems
- Difficulty in concentration
- Sleep disturbances
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
What are the Causes of Whiplash?
Whiplashes commonly occur due to the rapid movement of the neck or a sudden blow caused by it. This can cause the muscles in the neck and surrounding area to strain or sprain severely. The ligaments and the muscles around the neck tear and stretch due to the sudden movement. This causes whiplash. There are various ways through which one can experience a whiplash. Before taking chiropractic treatment, you should be aware of the proper cause of your whiplash.
- One has suffered through a sudden blow to the neck or surrounding area during the time of a car accident.
- You have been punched or shaken violently during physical abuse.
- You play sports like football, boxing, and karate on a daily basis. This makes you more prone to whiplashes as they include sudden movements and blows.
- You have had a negative experience while riding a horse.
- Accidents during cycling have occurred.
- You have had or recently been through an accident that caused your neck to move violently.
- A blow to your head by a heavy object.
These are just some of the many causes. You have to be extremely careful while performing activities that can lead to accidents or falls. If you are experiencing even a small discomfort and it is not going away, contact your doctor. The symptoms of the whiplash might not occur for a few days. However, if you have suffered these causes, you should immediately seek help.
What are the Complications Involved?
There are many people who get relieved from whiplash in a few days. These are not serious whiplashes. They can be cured easily through home remedies. However, many people continue to experience pain even when a significant amount of time has passed since the injury. Each person is different. So, it is hard to judge how a person from whiplash can recover.
You may be more likely to experience chronic pain if the starting symptoms have been severe or started occurring rapidly. These symptoms can include the following:
- Pain that has spread to the arm
- Limited range of motion
- Neck pain is severe
The complications of having a whiplash even during the smallest falls or accidents increase if the:
- The person has had whiplash before
- During old age
- There is an existing pain in the lower back and neck.
- There has been a high-speed injury.
What are the Treatments of Whiplash?
The treatment of whiplash includes focusing on those parts that are facing sprains or strains. It also includes healing those areas where damage has been caused to ligaments, muscles, and tendons. Most patients commonly experience symptoms. If there are serious symptoms, one should get chiropractic care or consultation from other professionals as soon as possible. There are various treatments that professionals provide. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Use ice packs immediately in the affected area.
- Perform small neck exercises if possible. However, keep your neck at complete rest if the pain is too severe.
- Use medication for pain. NSAIDs are common drugs that doctors prescribe to their patients who have swelling in the area. Painkillers can also be taken to help reduce the pain.
- Doctors also help their patients to maintain proper posture. They provide different techniques and exercises to keep the posture of the neck in the proper place.
- Injections like corticosteroids or lidocaine are also given by doctors to decrease muscle spasms.
- Muscle relaxants are offered by professionals to be taken during bedtime as they can cause drowsiness.
- Physical therapists use massage and manipulation like using ice packs, electrical stimulation, etc., to relieve pain.
- Osteopathy is a common treatment for whiplash.
This is important information that you should know about whiplash. The given information should be thought of carefully. If you are experiencing mild or severe discomfort, you should refer to a professional for chiropractic treatment immediately to receive the best treatment possible. Whiplash might seem like a small thing but can cause you severe pain and discomfort. To get the best possible treatment, you should be aware of all this. Use this information to your benefit.