After hernia surgery, most patients suffer from mild to chronic pain. It is also common to feel low on energy. Moreover, some feel twinges or pulling in the affected area during the healing process.
Generally, people start to recover within a few days, and the healing tends to improve within a week after the hernia operation.
Table of Contents
Factors Affecting Recovery Time After Hernia Surgery
Several factors determine how long your body will take to recover from the effects of the hernia operation:
The type of hernia the patient suffers from
A person can suffer from different types of hernias. These include umbilical hernia, epigastric hernia, incisional hernia, hiatal hernia, femoral hernia, and inguinal hernia. Each of these types of hernias is accompanied by a different level of complications. For instance, the most common type is an inguinal hernia and has fewer complications.
Type of surgery
The type of surgery recommended by the doctor will depend on the patient’s condition and the type of hernia the patient is suffering from. The recovery time for people who undergo robotic hernia or laparoscopic surgery is lesser than for people who undergo open surgery.
The recovery of younger patients is a lot faster as compared to older ones.
If you suffer from coexisting conditions, it will take you longer to recover. However, comparatively healthy patients heal quicker and feel better within a week after the hernia surgery.
How long do I have to stay in the hospital after a hernia operation?
Most patients can go home on the same day of the procedure, especially if they have laparoscopic or robotic hernia surgery. However, you will be under the effect of anesthesia, and therefore, will not be in the condition to drive back home. It takes three to six weeks after the procedure for a person to resume normal physical activities.
What are the precautions after hernia surgery?
- After the surgery, make sure you have someone to accompany you in getting your tasks done. . You must monitor all your symptoms and watch out for any complications. You must get as much rest and sufficient sleep for faster healing.
- If you have to sneeze, cough, move, or stand, do not put excess pressure on the affected area.
- Care for your incision as per the doctor’s instructions. Pay extra attention at the time of bathing. Usually, patients can shower 48 hours after the surgery. It is recommended to avoid bathing for two weeks after the surgery.
- Drink lots of fluid and eat a balanced diet to reduce the chances of constipation. Constipation can lead to pain in the affected area.
- For pain, take pain medication as prescribed by the doctor. If you don’t need them anymore, get rid of them as suggested.
- Indulge in gentle exercises like walking for faster healing.
What is the recovery time to resume normal activities after the hernia surgery?
- You can start doing light activities such as slow-paced walking and housework after a few days.
- You must not consume alcoholic beverages for at least 48 hours after the surgery, as long as you are under the effect of anesthesia.
- You must avoid handling young children or operating heavy machinery for around 48 hours after the surgery.
- You must not lift anything heavy or perform strenuous activities for a minimum of four weeks. You can indulge in sexual intercourse when you feel ready, which generally requires about two to three weeks.
- You can start driving when you feel that you will be able to make an emergency stop without any discomfort or pain. The recovery time for laparoscopic or robotic surgery patients is shorter as compared to open surgery patients. You can accordingly start driving again anytime from a couple of days to a few weeks.
As you consult the best hernia surgeon in Mumbai or the city you reside in, you will have better clarity on how long it will take for you to recover. The surgeon will help you understand the type of hernia you are suffering from and the type of surgery you require. You will also be guided upon ways by which you can fasten the effectiveness of your hernia treatment.